Thursday, October 20, 2016

Rejection... get your paws off my kid

I'm a writer.
Rejection and I are like good friends who've hung out on several occasions.

There are so many benefits to rejection. I know it. I've experienced it. I've benefited from it.

But right now, I really want to tell rejection to suck it and hands off my kid.  

My L. He loves sports. Football, soccer and very much so basketball. He was so excited to try out for the junior high basketball team. The first time he actually had to "try out" for anything! He would come straight home from school, get ready, talk my ear off about the orange ball and then an HOUR and TEN minutes later we'd head to try outs. He'd come home red in the face, sweaty, legs killing and smiling. It was a good pain. It was a good sweat.

And then... (I'm guessing you've all guessed) yesterday he was cut. 
Cut.
Cutting causes bleeding and pain and tears... can't they call it--> Maybe Next Time? 
Yeah... cut makes a lot more sense. 

We sat in the middle of the road, my car crooked in a bad u-turn and just hugged. Driving home I tried to say all the right things-- "I'm so proud of you!", "You did so great!", "There's always next year.", "I'm sorry.". 

And my boy. He was visibly very sad, but all he said was, "I'm so happy for "T, J, B..." Yeah, all his friends made it. 
And I wanted to turn around and curse that school-- "Don't you realize you've cut the nicest kid on the planet??" I'm guessing they don't care about or evaluate "nice" though. 
I wanted to curse the fact that I had zero athletic skills to pass onto him.
I kind of wanted to curse team sports all together--which isn't a great plan, since it's a team sport that pays my college coach husband and my house-bill.
Ugh.

We got home and while his brothers offered him condolences, I locked myself in my room and cried, cried like a baby.
Crud. This was so much harder than if they'd just cut me. 

I have suffered multiple rejections--they did not feel like this. 

Rejection has it's blessings, it really does bring benefits. I know that! It's apart of life--everyone's life! I know that too. So... I'm trying to see those for L. Man, it's hard to see when it's your baby.
But I'm trying to see the good. He's doing a much better job at it than I am.


The Blessings of Rejection
(to name a few...)
1. It's a chance to grow. Constant approval does not stretch us, teach, help us. 
2. It's an opportunity to explore new things. We aren't all good at the same things. Thank goodness!! Rejections helps us to discover and try something new.
3. Patience. Yes. It gives us more of that.
4. It can motivate us to work harder, try again, do better.
and 
5. It makes us stronger. A person who is handed everything they want is a weak person. 

I believe all these things. I do. Rejection brings all kinds of blessings. I do want all of these blessings for my kids. Still, if I'm honest--I don't want them all the time. Success is nice too.

In the mean time, we're going to be patient and exploring and hopefully becoming better people. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I know your pain. Halle ran for office in 7th grade, didn't make it. Ran for Honor Society office in 8th grade, didn't make it. Tried out for volleyball last month, didn't make it.

    It's harder for me than her. I think. Maybe she hides it well. You're doing a great job. Motherhood hurts when you're doing it right. :)

    Give that boy a huge hug and a pat on the back from Jack and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a week and here I am back again to tell you how much I love and appreciate your children. And you as their mother. This last week Jack has been very determined to get a specific grade up. He's worked hard and checked online everyday to see what it is. I finally asked him "Why are you so concerned with your keyboarding grade?" He told me he had to have a certain grade point average to try out for the school basketball team. This surprised me. While Halle plays on her school team, Jack has seemed to be content with rec ball. I asked him when school started if he would try out, and he said no. Trying out and facing failure is hard. It makes you think you are the only one who failed. Nobody knows how you feel. Last week I mentioned in the car to my kids that Landon got cut from his team and that he felt badly about it. Both of my kids love Landon and they of course, felt awful for him. When I found out Jack was planning on trying out, I asked him what made him change his mind. He said "Landon tried, so I should try too. And if I don't make it, then Landon and I will be in the same boat! ....Mom, wouldn't it be cool if we could be on a big houseboat with Landon's family?" So thank Landon for being an example to try new things, even if he didn't know he was even being an example. And maybe we should look into boating together...we'll need to remember to take the paddles though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRITING ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Saying “Thank You”

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can always say that Dan Aykroyd is a very talented actor and a nice comedian.,
    acknowledgement sample

    ReplyDelete