Friday, December 30, 2016

My Facebook Life

Do you ever have a truth that you already know proven to you again and even though you already knew that truth, you're surprised?

Did that make any sense? Is it just me?

I just had one of those moments today....

A friend, not a close friend, an old friend, a Facebook friend, split up with her spouse. I learned the news of course on good ol' Facebook. I was shocked. Her Facebook life was so happy... hugs and family and parties... But then that's what we all post on good ol' Facebook... right? A sub-section of our life, but not our whole selves, not 100% real life.

Facebook is such an easy and convenient place to connect with old friends and family and show off those photos just sitting in our phones doing nothing. But Facebook will never replace personal contact or a real life conversation. Those things are real. Those things bring joy.

And the fact is Facebook is also a great place to feel like NOTHING is happening in our lives... no vaca, no parties, no selfie worthy moments. And then it can leave us feeling awfully alone. Which, really, scrolling through Facebook feeds a dozen times a day is what's lonely, not the lack of parties or vacations. 

When I'm having a lousy day I don't tell Facebook, I tell a friend. At least when I want to feel better I do.

Really, in the end, we probably don't want to tell all of the 452 friends we have on Facebook about the times we locked ourselves in the bathroom and cried, or the times that we argued with our spouse or wondered if our children would ever listen. And really... who wants to read all that? The people you call or go see--they want to hear all about it. They want to hug you and let you know that everyone goes through hard times and it will be okay. Because it will, but Facebook most likely won't convince you of that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-Facebook, but judging another's happiness on their Facebook life or Instagram pictures or Twitter feeds is foolish--I'm learning.

And allowing a post to make you feel inferior or alone or not enough is just as foolish.
New Years is coming. I love this time of year. It's a fresh start. It's time to make goals and reflect on what we've done and we are capable of doing. And that's what I hope for you, for me, and for my old friend whose life was nothing like I assumed it to be.
Be happy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment