Monday, October 5, 2015

When Life Happens

Inspiration.
It comes in the middle of life.
It comes when you're showering or doing the dishes.
It comes when you're changing a diaper or brushing someone else's teeth.
It comes.
And sometimes you can't stop everything you're doing to apply it.
And then...
Well, often, it's gone.

Sometimes, it sticks. Sometimes it's so good. It's so right... you don't forget. You don't lose it.
Sometimes, you keep it and expand it, explore it. And make it wonderful.
Those times are happy. Super super happy.

It's been a while since I've written here...
And it isn't because of lack of inspiration. I've had it... a lot.
But life has been very much--life.
And the short notes I've jotted about my inspiring moments aren't stirring me anymore.

What is inspiring me--a picture of my  mother.
It sits on a table in my living room. It sits and stares at me so happily. It makes me smile. It makes me cry. It makes me miss her.
It's my favorite photo of her.
She had come to visit me with my sister and my niece. We were going to a musical at the college and I fixed her hair for her. She looked so pretty and she was so happy.

Her birthday is this month. Mine too. Just one of the many things we shared. I always think about her. But this time of year it seems to increase--a lot.

She gave the best hugs. The very best. No exaggeration.
I had her for 32 years. 32 years and probably 24,360 hugs.
Studies say that hugs strengthen your immune system and build self-esteem. It's no wonder I was such a happy kid.

If I could see her today, I'd say--yeah, I wouldn't say a thing. I would wrap my arms around her.
But I can't. So, instead, I'll wrap them around her grandbabies.

No comments:

Post a Comment